Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Roller Coaster

The last couple of days have been a lot like the title of this post. I've had moments when I've felt fine, others when I felt like I was going to hurl while simultaneously being in immense pain. A few hours ago I was miserable and now, other than a bit of the constant pain (partially alleviated by a heating pad) I'm doing fine.

Yesterday was pretty active. I went up to the roof of my building (first post-op experience with stairs... no problems). I walk around the roof a bit and then ended up doing laps of the shaded part (hot time, summer in the city). I'm still pretty hunched over when I walk, even though I try to stretch out so the main effect is that this aggravated my back pain a bit.

Then last night I actually ventured out to the movies. I figured I could sit in a movie theatre for two hours as well as I could sit on the couch for that long and I had definitely experienced hours of barely moving over the last couple of days. This assumption was basically true, but I realized halfway through the movie that on the couch I had the freedom to not be sitting there any longer should I choose which I mostly lost in the movie theatre. I decided to go to the slightly further away and much ghettoer theatre on 34th over the huge and really nice theatre on 42nd b/c I was afraid of the Times Square crowd with my big incision. Also, we took a cab there and back. In the cab home I started feeling sick and my back started to kill me. When we got home I went up to lie down and my mom bought me a heating pad. Great investment. Today my back hurts more than it ever has but the heating pad gives me so relief (it's on my back as I type). The rest of last night is a bit of a hellish blur. I didn't really feel good till morning and didn't sleep very well.

Today has been the same mixed feelings. Faith left this morning, which sucks. The nurse from my doc's office called to check up on me which was comforting. I have an appointment to go see him August 3. Also, in my good period, I started reading Devil in the White City. Pretty good so far. Had some visitors who showered me with love and gifts but I think the longer visiting sessions are wearing me out and I may need to cut back (so hard to do).

Oh, and I shaved today. Not everything, I left the moustache and a pathetic excuse for a goatee (I like to call it chin music). I figure I might as well grow these monstrosities while I am locked away from society for my own curiosity more than anything. Again, hopefully I'll pull out the camera and get some pics soon.

Enough is enough. Till next time...

1 Comments:

Blogger Faith said...

I'm sorry I had to leave babe... especially because later that day Scafidi IMed me and asked me to kiss you for him, really kiss you, and I couldn't fulfill this disturbing wish. Actually, I'm sorry I can't be there to help you out and reach things for you. Anyway, I should be able to spend some time with you in Florida, assuming you are still going to be home around the 5th, since I'll probably stay in the state for a while. The offer to drive you there is still open- I don't know if a long car ride where you can move around and recline a lot is better than getting to an airport and spending 4 hours upright, but you still have time to decide that. Miss you!

Thursday, July 27, 2006 4:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home